Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Literally Awesome

"The world's largest public library is the Chicago Public Library, which has a collection of over 2 million books."




Today I finally got roommates which is both exciting and terrifying based off of my previous experiences. They all seem nice enough but moving in is a big job, add in that all three of them brought their parents and it begins to get a lot more complicated. I have a good sized apartment but that is still a lot of people. Heck by the standards of the lease it is technically a party! So, after I finished taking a shower because I was drenched  in sweat from my workout I went out and about town. I did errands mostly to get ready for school but when all that was done I hopped the Brown Line to the Chicago Public Library, or as I'd like to call it, Heaven. 
It is a building that is 9 stories tall and filled with every kind of book one could imagine. That actually isn't entirely true because the top floor is called a "Winter Garden" which must just be Chicago speak for big, beautiful, glass ceilinged, quiet floor for nothing but the enjoyment of books and reading, and according to the librarian that gave me my brand sparkling new library card (thanks to a letter from Sara whose mailing address proves my residency here), the southern side even gets the best free internet connection. Like I said, Heaven. 
Before venturing into the library, I wandered around it a bit while talking on my phone to Apollonia and was pleasantly surprised to find that on building has architecture that is especially designed for the people on the sidewalk underneath it. If you look up while passing under it you will see a bunch of stone faces staring down at you, making funny faces. I don't know who made these wonderful things but I absolutely love their whimsy! Hopefully, I'll have some pictures to follow soon. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow Lady, that sounds absolutely amazing! Can't wait to see pictures! :-)

    ReplyDelete